Thursday, July 2, 2009

Five Reasons to Read this Book: Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King


Dust of 100 Dogs, A.S. King

1.) Pirates ('nuff said)

2.) Two great POVs for the price of one. King uses both first and third person narration, and the characters of Emer and Saffron are distinct and unique, not just the same girl in a different time, in a different body.

3.) Great historical accuracy and detail. Emer's various cloaks just took my breath away.

4.) A curse. Not just a good curse, but a great curse.

5.) A good ending. Very satisfying but not too HAE (Happily Ever After).

I really loved this book for taking me places I didn't expect, and for the history and the the originality of it's premise. The scenes from Saffron's dog lives are poignant and a little disturbing, just like the rest of the story. I guess that's why I liked it so much.

Caveat, one reason not to read this book:
There is a rape scene, which I always find disturbing. It wasn't overly graphic, but if you don't like reading books with rape scenes, I'd steer clear. Hard to port. ;)

Next week, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies.

No comments:

Post a Comment