Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Interview with author Rebecca Goings

Today we have Rebecca Goings here for an interview. Please sit down for a bit and enjoy. Paranormal is not the only genre Rebecca writes, please check out her website at the end of the interview to see what else you can find.





Laurie-Would you please tell us a little about yourself?

Rebecca-Hello! My name is Rebecca Goings and I've been writing romance professionally for six years. I write in a lot of different genres, paranormals, westerns, contemporaries, and fantasies. I live in Portland, OR and I have five kids, two cats, and a dog. Oh, and a hubby. :P I'm a stay-at-home mom and I homeschool my brood.


Laurie-Could you tell us some of your writing on the B*E*A*S*T series for those who have never heard of it?

Rebecca-Well, I got the idea after seeing shapeshifters gain in popularity in the romance genre. Everyone seemed to be doing packs or magic, that kind of thing. I wanted my shifters to come from a secret agency. It was only after I began writing them that they were compared to Lora Leigh's shifters. But I'm telling you the truth when I tell you I've never read her series!

I'm pretty much the only similarity is genetically created shifters. From there, we go on vastly different tangents.

My books are about B*E*A*S*T* , Bio-Engineering to Attain Shift Transformation. They are a secret agency, funded by ?? who've created these men to be monsters. Their memories have been altered, and they've "died" in their old lives. But a few of them manage to escape, liberate the others, and find love along the way, while trying to bring B*E*A*S*T* down in the meantime.

Laurie- Tell us about your latest release?

Rebecca-MARK OF THE B*E*A*S*T*, Book IV of this series, is coming on September 6th. It is the story of Mackenzie Bishop and Robyn Groves. We first meet this pair in Book II, B*E*A*S*T* OF BURDEN, and learn more about them in Book III, NATURE OF THE B*E*A*S*T*. Robyn's been kidnapped by an evil scientist and mindwiped. Now, she doesn't remember Mac, and he's going to make these bastards pay for taking her away from him -- in more ways than one.


Laurie-What's some of the biggest things that influences your writing?

Rebecca-Dreams influence my writing a lot. The seed of an idea for this series came from a dream. I was on the run in the snowy mountains with a man who could shift into a tiger. Once I woke up, the idea snowballed from there when I started asking the who, what, where, when, why, and how questions. And once I had the agency, I knew I had a series, because they wouldn't be experimenting on just ONE guy...

I also get my ideas from songs. There is one song in particular, "Sahara" by Nightwish, that inspired my latest series with Carnal Passions, my Desert Princes of Jikkar.

TV shows and actors can inspire me too, especially if I think I can do a storyline better, or ask why they didn't do this, or I would have done it that way, etc.



Laurie-Do you have any interesting writing quirks?

Rebecca- Aside from needing to zone when I write, not really. I don't have any rituals or special foods or a special chair. But I do need to get into my scene, so most of the time I need to put on my headphones and rock out to something, if only to tune out my kids. :P I do have to be somewhere semi-private or at least have a wall at my back. My kids can read, and some of the things I write... whew boy!


Laurie-What is something you like doing besides writing? Like any hobbies?

Rebecca-I used to be big into crochet. I'd probably do more of it too if I didn't love spending all of my free time in front of the computer. I've also had wrist problems lately, so I can't really do it much right now. Taught myself though, then taught my daughters. :)

You not only right Paranormal, what other genre do you write?

I love westerns. They're my favorite historical, so they're pretty much all I write for historicals. I also love fantasies, and not all my fantasies are dragons and castles (although I have those as well). My Desert Princes, for instance, are considered fantasy because they involve magic. I love writing about magic. I have a couple of contemporaries, but that's it. I guess a vanilla contemporary isn't my cup of tea. My BEAST series is present day, but of course, there are fantastic things going on, so I don't get bored.

Laurie-What are some of your favorite authors?

Rebecca-Well, I gotta give props to Johanna Lindsey for being the first romance author I ever read. She's the one who got me to fall in love with the genre. I also enjoy the western Harlequin authors. Pam Crooks, Kate Bridges, Stacey Kane, & Cheryl St. John.

Laurie-Do you have a favorite place to write?

Rebecca-On my deck or on my front porch. I have a laptop, and I love writing outside. When it's quiet and the weather is nice.

Laurie-What are you working on next?

Rebecca-Right now, my efforts are with my Desert Princes. I'm going to have four or five books in this series (haven't decided). But it's an erotic series, so it's very fun -- and hot hot! THE VIPER PRINCE has just released on August 4th from Carnal Passions. Book II, THE SCARAB PRINCE, is coming in October. THE FALCON PRINCE will be coming soon after that, and I'm currently working on THE SPIDER PRINCE. I really love this series because it's so exotic and different than anything I've ever done. In the span of about six months, I've written almost the entire series! If you pick this one up, I hope you enjoy it just as much as you've enjoyed BEAST! :D


Thanks Rebecca!! Also I just had to add the cover to your Desert Princes of Jikkar series, its to hot not to *fans self LOL*..
Places to find Rebecca
Website
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment