Monday, August 16, 2010

Interview with Paranromal author Pamela Palmer

I had the privilege to get an interview with author Pamela Palmer. I hope you enjoy the interview and if you haven't read the books please check them out.






Laurie- Would you please give us a little about yourself?

Pamela-Hi Laurie, I'm delighted to be here! I grew up wanting to be an astronaut, wound up majoring in engineering in school, and didn't realize I wanted to be a writer until one of my daydreams grew too big for my head and I decided to write it down. Who knew you could craft entire books out of daydreams? I sold my first book to Silhouette Nocturne in 2006 and have since sold thirteen, nine of which are on the shelves. Three more are written (book 5 in the Feral Warriors series and the final two books in the Esri series for Nocturne). Hunger Untamed comes out 2/22/11. The Nocturnes, I'm still waiting on release dates for.

Laurie-I simply love your Feral Warriors series. Would you tell those who have never read or heard about them, something about your wonderful series?

Pamela-The premise behind the Feral Warriors series is that there are only nine shape-shifters left in the world. At one time, the entire immortal Therian race was able to shift -- many different clans, dozens of different animal shifters. But five thousand years ago, the Therians and their traditional enemies, the Mage, joined forces to defeat the Daemons, mortgaging the majority of their power in the process. Now only one of each of the ancient shifter lines retains the power of his animal and the ability to shift. The nine known as the Feral Warriors. While each book in the series is a stand-alone romance, each is also another chapter in the larger story that will eventually come to a big, climactic ending. Five thousand years ago, the Daemons were defeated and incarcerated, but they're not gone. And now they're growing stronger again, once more threatening the world.


Laurie-You have 9 Feral Warriors. Is this the amount of books your going to write total? Or maybe add more Warriors to this already great cast?

Pamela-Good question and I can't give you an answer right now, because I just don't know.


Laurie-With all the magic and rituals you have in your books, do you spend a lot of time researching?

Pamela-No, that's one of the things I love about writing paranormals. I research locations, which is pretty easy since I live in the D.C. area. But most everything else comes out of my imagination.

Laurie- Now lets take a little on your heroine’s you have. I have to say out of all the series I have read I love your heroines, they are all strong and each one added to each warrior by their special abilities. Are these abilities hard or easy to come up with when you start a book? And would you tell us your favorite heroine so far?

Pamela-Thank you, Laurie! When I'm planning a new book, I'm constantly asking myself questions, constantly looking at the story from different angles. When I came up with Skye, the heroine of PASSION UNTAMED, I knew that the hero of that book, Paenther, had a fierce hatred of the Mage. So, of course, she had to be Mage. And like the Mage witch who'd nearly destroyed him, she had to betray and capture him. He had every reason in the world to hate Skye. Which is why my instincts told me she had to be the most gentle, sweet woman he'd ever come in contact with. That while she might have captured him, she was more of a victim than he was. Paenther is such a knight, such an honorable man, but his background gave him all this reason to distrust and hate her. Great conflict.


When I was developing RAPTURE UNTAMED, I knew in my heart that Jag was going to hurt Olivia. It might not be intentional, but he was going to betray her. So I had to figure out how this tough little fighter was vulnerable. It's from that question that the whole draden-kissed scenario was born.

Laurie-Have you thought about or are you going to give Pink her own story at some point?

Pamela-I love Pink, but I don't know what's in store for her. I have general ideas of what's going to happen in future books, but I don't have it all worked out. Most of it comes to me as I figure out each individual book.


Laurie-I was reading on your website you like Start Trek. Which is your favorite TV episode and which is your favorite movie?

Pamela-I loved Star Trek as a kid, but I only really got into the original series. I tried to watch The Trouble with Tribbles a couple of years ago for the first time in years (it used to be one of my favorites) and OMG, it did NOT live up to my memories. So low budget compared to what's produced today. My favorite Star Trek movie is definitely the latest one. But I love everything J.J. Abrams does.


Laurie- Would you give us a few genre that you like to read?

Pamela-I read mostly romance and urban fantasy. Some of my current favorite authors are Larissa Ione, Karen Marie Moning, Nalini Singh, and Keri Arthur.

Laurie-Your website says,“Who is Pamela Montgomerie“? Who she and what do you write under her name for those that don’t know?

Pamela-In addition to the Feral Warriors series for Avon Books and the Esri series for Silhouette Nocturne, I write a time travel series for Berkley Sensation under the pseudonym Pamela Montgomerie. Like all my books, these are action-filled stories with tons of romance and big, climactic endings. So far, I've published two -- SAPPHIRE DREAM and AMETHYST DESTINY. The time travel elements are magical stones in the possession of a little Rumplestiltskin-type man named Hegarty. He's one of my favorite characters -- an trouble-making imp with a heart of gold.


Laurie- Have you ever considered writing a different paranormal romance series?


Pamela-All the time. My imagination never stops spinning new stories and my muse just doesn't seem to be satisfied with one series at a time.


Laurie-What are you planning next?


Pamela-My editor and I plan to sit down next week at the RWA conference in Orlando and discuss just that. At the moment, I'm writing book 6 in the Feral Warriors series. After that, we'll see!

Thanks Pamela!

Where you can find Pamela
website
facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment