Monday, November 9, 2009

My Review of "Sundays at Tiffany's"


Sundays at Tiffany's
by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnett

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I thought "Sundays at Tiffany's" was a very sweet romance. The story itself is very simple and uncomplicated. I can easily see this book being made into a movie.

8 year old Jane Margaux feels like she doesn't live up to her extravagant mother's expectations. Vivienne, her successful broadway producer mother pays little attention to Jane, except for their weekly trip to Tiffany's every Sunday. Jane spends most of her time with the only person she can really depend on in her life, her imaginary friend, Michael. Michael always knows the right thing to say to cheer her up and build up her self esteem. He's always there for her when she needs him no matter what. But unfortunately, imaginary friends don't last forever and Jane loses the one person she counts on the most.

Twenty-three years later, Jane is still under her mother's rule and is in a miserable relationship with a man who cares more about her Broadway connections than about her. Jane and Michael find themselves miraculously crossing paths again, and are faced with many new choices and questions about themselves and each other.

The story and writing style are simplistic but the story itself is so sweet, it doesn't really need filler to make the story longer. This is a fantasy story in a way, but Michael's job as an imaginary friend is explained well and wasn't hard for me to believe. I found it a little odd that Jane's chapters were told in 1st person and Michael's were told in 3rd person, but I got used to it quickly. It wasn't hard to understand, but I did wonder why the author wrote the book this way.

Michael was pretty much flawless, so he really wasn't realistic at all. But I was viewing this novel as a fantasy anyway, so it didn't bother me that he was too good to be true. Jane was very much a pushover but still likeable. It was fun to see her become stronger as she built her self esteem with Michael's help.

I thought this book was very innocent and refreshing and I will probably read more in this genre by Patterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment