Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Review of "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan"


Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
by Sophie Kinsella

My rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Love her or hate her, Rebecca Bloomwood is possibly one of the most memorable characters in current fiction. She's so over the top and fabulous even though the poor thing really does have an addiction as bad as any other addiction-she's a shopaholic. I read the first Shopaholic book and absolutely loved how fun and fanciful the whole idea was, and Becky's romance with Luke was unexpected and sweet. However, reading the sequel, I often felt like I was reading the exact same book over again, but with only half of the charm and a less endearing romance story. I wanted Becky to have grown up a bit and have learned from her previous mistakes instead of making all of them over again in the second book. Of course, the author had to find a way to give the reader more of what they loved about the first book, but I just felt like Becky learned nothing the first time around.

In this installment, Becky has a great job as a financial advisor on a London morning talk show, which she is very good at. Her romance with successful and gorgeous entepreneur Luke Brandon is going places. Unfortunately, she still has a teeny tiny problem with overspending which could potentially ruin everything she has worked so hard to gain.

There are truly some laugh out loud moments in this book, and not just the cliched chick lit awkward moments. Becky's faux pas are unique, hilarious, and could only happen to her. Sometimes I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, though, because she shows many signs of a person with a true shopping addiction. She hides her purchases from family and friends, she doesn't remember anything she buys, and she definitely doesn't have the funds to support her habit. I was starting to think it might be time for her to seek professional help. Then other times, I was just so frustrated with her! She has an amazing, fun job that she excels at, and a great boyfriend, supportive friends, awesome parents, and she places more importance on designer clothing than any of that and even risks losing it all for the perfect pair of "clementine" heels.

I thought the romance fell flat in this one, even though I loved Becky and Luke in the first book. I know it's not as dynamic since the two were already a couple, and that can't be helped, but I just found myself forgetting why they ever fell for each other in the first place.

Overall, this book was a fun, satisfying escape. By the end I was ready to find my copy of "Shopaholic Ties the Knot" so I could see what happens to Becky and Luke. But I really hope Becky tries to change for the better at least a little!!

No comments:

Post a Comment