Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review A Wolf's Duty by Jennifer T. Alli

Title: A Wolf's Duty
Author: Jennifer T. Alli
Source: Requested Review
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: Ebook; 300 pages
Release date: December 13, 2010



As the last werewolf prince, it is Tobias' birthright to be King and lead his people, keeping their existence hidden from the humans they have lived beside for centuries and those that have hunted them, dedicated to their extinction. But Tobias has no mate and without one he can never be King. His two hundred year search is only brought to an end after a mysterious call for help. Alex has not had an easy life and despite the happiness that Tobias brings, his arrival makes her life no less complicated. Her connection to Tobias is strong and almost instantaneous, overcoming the years of caution and mistrust that living with her abusive, father has caused. As hidden secrets from Alex's past are unearthed, revealing how extraordinarily different she truly is, Alex is pulled irrevocably into Tobias' world, but as they soon discover his world is no less dangerous than the one she left behind. When their two worlds collide will their love survive or will his duty and her differences keep them apart?



Rating-



Sexual-



My review-

Generally, I am not a fan of werewolf novels. Most of the time, werewolves have been villains in other stories. It seems that they started gaining some popularity as romantic lead-ins after the "Twilight" series came out. As I am not a fan, my view point never really changed and I admit that I tended to avoid many werewolf stories. Those I did read (or in the case of movies: watch), were mingled with their lifetime struggle with vampires; ie. Underworld, Van Helsing, etc.

"A Wolf's Duty" may have me re-thinking that thought process. Instead of your typical werewolf story, Tobias and the other wolves in the story are not a clan of wolves infected by lycanthropy, cursed to live their lives based on the faces of the moon. These wolves are more like shapeshifters, which was an intriguing concept alone. Add into the mix a realistic heirarchy amongst the clans, or packs, my interest was definitely piqued.

I enjoyed Alli's telling of Tobias' journey to find his true mate, which leads him to Alex. What I liked most about Alex, as a character, was that she wasn't too strong, nor was she too focused on what could be perceived as her many shortcomings in comparison to Tobias. There's a good balance between the romance and acceptance of who they are and their relationship to one another. There are not many erotic scenes between them, but those that are there are very hot.

If you are looking for a good paranormal romance, you'll enjoy "A Wolf's Duty" and I recommend it. When I began reading it, I devoured 3/4 of the book in a short period of time. This is only book one in a trilogy and I look forward to moving onto the next story in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment