Monday, March 7, 2011

Interview with author Alianne Donnelly

Please welcome Alianne Donelly!

Hello Alianne, thanks so much for doing this interview. Would you tell us a little about yourself?

Alianne-Hi Laurie, thanks for having me =) It's great to be here. Hmm tough question first, huh? Let's see, 5' 10", brown hair... no wait, that's not what you're asking. I'm a Gemini which I think translates to a mild case of ADD but it's worked well for me so far. I figure if it can't hold my interest, it's probably not worth it anyway. Lol I love stories. History, fairy tales, mythology, if it gives me a glimpse into someone's live, real or imaginary, I'll take it over algebra any day. I can text on the phone or chat online for hours but I hate phones with a passion. And for being nearsighted I'm a pretty good shot with a recurve bow.

Laurie-What inspired you to write?

Alianne- I ran out of storage space in my head. =) Well, that was part of it. I was always making stuff up as a kid. Had bookshelves of books but rarely read because the stories I came up with entertained me more. Over time I realized that if I wrote a story down, I could give it more detail, and then it was easier to imagine myself inside it.

Laurie-Out of all the books you wrote, do you have a few that holds a special place in your heart. How about your heroes and heroines, do you have a favorite among them?

Alianne-There is a set of characters I keep returning to. At last count I'd written four stories about them and countless mini scenarios and random conversations. They are four elementals created by the gods to balance out the world. I don't think they will ever leave me and I like that they've become my friends over the years. As for books, I will always love Blood Moons. Tristan and Dara go through a lot together and apart. They have to fight for every inch they gain and rely on each other when that's the last thing they would want. It's an impossible situation for both of them to be in but they never give up. They're my inspiration.

What are some of your favorite author’s and some of your favorite books you’ve read?

Alianne-Karen Marie Moning, Kresley Cole, G. A. Aiken, and Larissa Ione. These ladies are amazing and I eagerly await each of their new releases. *side note here: FEVAH!!* Choosing favorite books is more difficult lol I love them all. Kiss of the Highlander will always have a place in my heart. I absolutely love Drustan. Pleasure of a Dark Prince is up there too. *shy smile* Garreth is my hero.

Laurie-What sub-genre that you write? Do you have a favorite?

Alianne-I've tried my hand at contemporary romance, fantasy, paranormal, sci-fi, time travel, even tried mixing and matching. Blood Moons is a cross between paranormal and sci-fi that I thought was pushing the limits. I've since learned that there are limits beyond those limits lol My favorite has to be fantasy/paranormal. It's what I fall back on whenever I get writer's block. I think it's my love of fairy tales asserting itself. Who wouldn't want to have magic powers or dragons for friends?

Laurie-Would you please tell these who have never hear of your Blood Moon series, a little about it?

Alianne-Dara would say it's an intense, dark love story with a lot of edge and passion - and not just the sexual kind. Tristan would tell you to read it and see for yourself. Then he'd get inside your mind to see what you imagine as you read it. Blood Moons is about their struggle to come to terms with themselves and the incredible attraction and need they have for each other. There's a bad guy too, but who cares about him? ;D

Laurie-What inspired you to write about an woman ending up in a jail cell with a man? I myself loved the idea, but I love different.

Alianne-Oh great question! It was the idea of a delicate innocent being thrust into a very dark, harsh world. Dara is the light in that prison and the draw of it was seeing how it would affect her, how she would react to it and how it would react to her. I didn't want her light to dim so I gave her a protector fully prepared to keep her safe, but so damaged and in need of redemption himself. They each become (or maybe always were) what the other needs most.

Laurie-Do you have a favorite scene in Blood Moon? If so, would you tell us?

Alianne-My favorite is the calm before the storm. Before they are forced apart, Tristan and Dara share a meal with the good Dr. Chase. Afterwards when they retire for the night, Tristan goes off by himself to sleep beneath the stars but he comes back to Dara as she's falling asleep. Tristan, by his own admission, has been made more animal than human by the time he meets Dara. But he shows her such gentleness and care - and she's so absolutely trusting despite having every reason not to be - that it melts my heart.

Laurie-Do you know how many book you have planed for this series?

Alianne-There will be three books in this series: Blood Moons, Blood Trails, and Blood Debts. Maybe in the future I will return to write more. There are definitely some characters in this world that intrigue me but so far they aren't sharing their stories.

Laurie-Would you tell us a little of what you’re working on next?

Alianne-Blood Trails is next. It's about the steadfast gentleman telepath Jeremy Calen and the force of nature that is Hailey Chase. Hailey takes it into her head that anything her sister can do, she can do too, so she picks up where Dr. Chase left off and makes herself into a shape shifter. The trouble is, it's killing her.
More info is available on my blog: http://aliannedonnelly.blogspot.com

Fun questions
What your favorite color?
Blue

Do you have any pets?
Not at the moment. My ten year old rottweiler sadly passed away a year ago. He is missed very much.

What your favorite movie and TV show?
I'm way behind on new TV series lol my ADD kicks in here. I like a variety of movies from Pitch Black to Disney's Beauty and the Beast and many in between.

Do you have a favorite food or place to eat?
Ask anyone who knows me, I'm a pizza girl all the way.Yummm.

This was fun, Laurie! Thanks again for having me here.

You can find Alianne here

No comments:

Post a Comment