Friday, March 4, 2011

Meet Kimberly Lang Author of Girl's Guide to Flirting with Danger


Kimberly Lang hid romance novels behind her textbooks in junior high, and even a master’s program in English couldn’t break the obsession with dashing heroes and Happily Ever After. A ballet dancer turned English teacher, Kimberly married an electrical engineer and turned her life into an ongoing episode of “When Dilbert Met Frasier.” She and her Darling Geek live in beautiful North Alabama with their one Amazing Child—who, unfortunately, shows an aptitude to sports.




Book Description:

GIRLS’ GUIDE TO FLIRTING WITH DANGER

Life is good for marriage counselor Megan Lowe—until the media discover that she’s the ex–wife of Devin Kenney, America's most famous divorce attorney! Now the paparazzi are digging for a scoop just in time for the launch of Devin's new book. His gorgeous smile smirks at Megan from magazines and billboards — making him infuriatingly impossible to forget…
It's time for Megan to throw her rulebook out of the window and face her dangerously sexy ex. And their sizzlingly hot reunion — well, that's most definitely headline news…
Welcome Kimberly to Romance Author Buzz. 

Hi Marilyn! Thanks for having me.

How long have you been writing and what was your call story?

I got serious about writing in late 2004.  (I’d been dithering about before that, saying I’d write a book “one day.”).  I submitted that manuscript in 2005 and sold in 2008. So that’s not too bad, I guess.

I’d submitted the full and got a three-page revision letter that pretty much sent me back almost to square one.   But they loved my voice (so they said) so I ripped that book apart and rewrote into something only vaguely recognizable from the original. 

The day of my call (May 2, 2008), I was on my cell phone with Rhonda Nelson when the house phone rang.  I didn’t recognize the number, so I let the answering machine pick up downstairs.  I could hear there was a message being left, but not what it was, so I Googled the number and found out it was from Mills and Boon in London.  I ran downstairs – still on the phone with Rhonda – to listen to a message saying they’d call back.  It was the longest hour of my life.  All because I thought my “Call” might be from a telemarketer. ~sigh~

When did you first know that you wanted to be a writer? Have you had other jobs along the way?

I have a Master’s degree in English, so I had a long and storied career in the food service industry.  I was a ballet dancer, a program coordinator for a non-profit organization, a conference organizer for NASA scientists, and I taught English to ungrateful Freshmen.  It’s a bit of a mixed bag, but I learned things at all the jobs that I use as a writer—and I didn’t even know I wanted to be a writer until I was in my mid-20s!

Do you plot your stories or let your characters lead you?

The characters lead the way.  Always.  It’s not the easiest way to write a book, because I never know what’s around the next corner; it could be something really cool, or a complete dead end. But I’m not a plotter. I can’t plot out a book to save my life, because I never know where the characters are going to go.

Of all of your characters, do you have a favorite you identify with and why?

There’s a piece of me in all my characters and there’s always something in them that I identify with. I can’t pick a favorite.  It would be wrong to try.  Their feelings might get hurt.

What are you currently working on?
 
I’m finishing up a trio of books featuring three brothers from a powerful political family.  My Marshall brothers are sexy and powerful, and they have heroines who turn their lives upside down. Look for them in 2012.

If Oprah invited you onto her show to talk about your book, what would the theme of the show be?

Whatever she wanted! I’ll make it work.  Hey, that English degree might come in handy… I’m good at analyzing literature any way you want me to.  Oprah, you tell me the theme, and I’ll make it work. ~grin~
 
Describe a day in the life of Kimberly Lang.

Up at for thirty minutes of meditation and thirty minutes of yoga.  I make a cup of tea, then go meet the Geek and the Amazing Child for breakfast and spend a little time with them before they head off for the day. I answer fan mail for half an hour, then loose myself in new manuscript before I go investigate that strange beeping sound…

I slap the snooze button again, but the Amazing Child is shouting that she has no socks, and she needs lunch money, so I have to pull myself out of bed anyway. We’ve all overslept, so I toss her a banana to hold her until lunch and find out she was supposed to bring two dozen cookies for the PTA bake sale today, and the garbage truck is coming and the bin’s not down at the curb…

Yeah, it’s kind of like every other suburban mom’s life, only I can sleep for a little longer in the morning because I get to wear sweatpants to work and showers are optional.   

What is something you definitely want readers to know about you?

That I adore each and every one of them. Having someone appreciate what I write is a great honor that just tickles me to no end. 

What are you currently reading?

I can’t tell you. J  I’m reading the books that came in my RITA judging package, and we’re sworn to secrecy about what we’re reading until the after the contest. But a couple of them have been really awesome…

Kimberly , thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me!

 
Kimberly's website
Facebook Page  

 
GIRLS’ GUIDE is a reunion story, so I’d like to hear about your exes! Have you ever reunited with an old flame? How did that work out? Or are you just glad your ex is an ex. I’ll give away a copy of my other reunion romance, BOARDROOM RIVALS, BEDROOM FIREWORKS!, to one commentor.  Winner will be announced March 31st.  Don't forget to leave  your email address so that you may be contacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment