Friday, October 29, 2010

Where's My Eye-patch, Dammit?

Almost time to dig up my blonde wig and comb it out, but I never found a samurai sword... Maybe no one will notice. I may need to get a new eye-patch, since I have no idea where I put it, and I can't be Elle Driver without an eye-patch, but I can get a nice comfortable one at the drug store. Go figure. Anyway, you can never have too many eye-patches. I've been trying to get my friends to dress up as Beatrix Kiddo and Gogo Yubari, but apparently those costumes involve a little more work than mine.

Anyone else going with a group theme? Wizard of Oz is classic, but once in college I went to a party where I ran into the cast of Seinfeld. I mean, if you saw these people separately you wouldn't say "Hey, that guy is a ringer for George Costanza." But together, It was eerie how they really made it work.

Funny how it's the little details that make a story work, too. Like when I try to reread The Hunger Games since Mockingjay, that damn cat Buttercup gets me so choked up I can't even read the first chapter. The way Scott Westerfeld and James Dashner use made-up slang to pull us that much farther into their world. I'll always remember that witches are bald and have purple eyes and wear square toed shoes so their boxy feet will fit from Roald Dahl. It may have saved my life once...

Details like that are part of the reason I'm unplugging for November. *ducks decorative gourds*

No, it's not to do NaNo, but I want to wrap up my wip, and I feel like I need to devote more of myself to it than I have been. I need to write 40-50K words, and I want them to be good ones, so I feel like this is the perfect time to unplug with so many others around here fading into their NaNo projects. So, Auf Wiedersehen, so long for now, and don't eat too many peanut-butter cups, my lovelies. Save some for me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment