Monday, August 29, 2011

Review Cat O' Nine Tails by Patricia Leever

Title: Cat O' Nine Tails
Author: Patricia Leever 
Genre: Historical romance
Source: Publisher request 
Format: eBook 221 pgs. Also in paperback



When Orrin and his brother Kale are hired by Queen Winifred to hunt down Aeron and her band of miscreants, Orrin never dreamed he’d fall in love with the beautiful she pirate, or the kind, accepting people of her island hideaway. As they grow closer, Aeron reveals her jaded past with Queen Winifred to Orrin; he doesn’t hesitate to offer his help to bring Winifred’s evil reign to an end. Aeron and Orrin soon discover that the strongest weapon in their combined arsenal is the love they have for each other.





I have no clue what I was thinking when I started this book but it was nothing like I thought. It surprised me all the way around. I love the way the author didn’t tell all in the blurb like most do now days, so you get some great surprises in the story. Not only do you get one love story between the hero and heroine but you get an extra surprise with the hero’s brothers love affair.

Let me first state this story will not be for the faint of heart. Yes, it has its cruel moments and the author tells pretty much all of it. But you have to look at the title and wonder where it fits in and when you find out you might not like it one bit. I know I didn’t but I still found it brilliant and unexpected, even though I was cringing at the times.

The heroine Aeron is great. I love that she is a strong willed pirate that will slit anyone through that does wrong to people. Yep, she’s more of a robin hood to some ladies but with all that she has went thought I sure don’t blame her. Plus I loved that she get the right hero for her, Orrin. He’s one that will not break her spirit, he loves her just like she is, sword, scars and all.

One problem some will have is the characters all fall for each other very, very quickly without fuss. I didn’t mind it so much with everything else going on in the story. I will say this could have been easily made into two books and a lot of detail brought out that would have knocked some socks off. But since this is the first book by this author I am not going to harp on things because I am very much impressed and know she will expand more as she grows in writing.

I highly recommend this new author and book to anyone who likes historical romance and pirates.



No comments:

Post a Comment