Thursday, August 11, 2011

Discussion of the month August 2012



This months event is called. Is it paranormal romance or urban fantasy? It will run Aug 25-28th. I thought we might kick it off as the discussion of the month. I know these two sub-genre runs really close together, so close that we may never get it all straight but for now I believe we can help each other in telling the telling the difference between them. 

 First and far most I am a romance reader. I have tried several urban fantasy series and I just can't hack them. There's is a few writers that have wowed me. One is Stacey Kennedy she writes a mixture of both and I really enjoy them. Then again she does focus a lot on the romance and that's why I can stand it. 

To me if a books main focus is a love affair between two people or in this case paranormal creatures with a Happy Ever After even if the setting is in an urban setting it's paranormal romance to me. 
For instance
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters series.
Lynsay Sands Aregneau series.
Pamela Palmer A Feral Warriors series. 
Thea Harrison The Elder Races series
Etc.

Urban fantasy main focus is on one character and the story. 
Sometimes there can be sex or a coupling involved, BUT  the romance is not the main focus of the story. As a matter a fact there's a lot of people that does not like to read sex, so they go for this sub-genre to get a paranormal story in an urban setting without the sex or at least a lot of it.

Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan novels

Night Huntress, a series by Jeaniene Frost with Cat and Bones
Charrline Harris Sookie Stackhouse series. 


As for Laurell K Hamilton. I have no clue where to put her. I think she just like to write to keep us scratching our heads on where to really put her LOL. 


You can also tell another difference. Paranormal romance's books usually have an ending with a couple getting a  Happy Ever After. Then the next book go's on to another couple. Where's to urban fantasy the main character keep on going like the energizer bunny. In some cases he or she will take on may partners during the series. 

This is my opinion on how I tell the difference. Now please share yous. 

Don't forget to stop in during the event so you can hear some authors POV on this. I have seen their post and they give out some awesome advice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment