Friday, August 19, 2011

"The Quiet Gentleman" Review

"The Quiet Gentleman"

by Georgette Heyer



Publisher: Sourcebooks

Release Date: June 1, 2011 

Source: sent by publisher




My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars



Summary from goodreads.com: 





Unscathed from the
wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his
title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and
his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he
must establish himself as the new head of the house… and ignore his
family's rising hostility.

Then Gervase's eye is caught by a
lovely young woman—the same woman already much in favor with his half
brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the
lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly
balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel
accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new
Earl of Stanyon dead….



My Review:



This was the first book I've read by Heyer and it might not have been the best one to begin with because I don't think it's one of her more romantic books. I went in thinking that it would be a regency romance, but there was more emphasis on the brothers' quarrelling and the mystery.



I did enjoy the mannerly dialogue and writing. It was quick, witty, and Austen-esque. I can see how Heyer has such a large following.



I actually liked Gervase, the quiet gentleman, a lot. I found myself saying "Poor Gervase" quite a lot because so many people were out to get him! He was a sweet guy and there were always people yelling at him.





Main Characters: 4/5 (Gervase)

Supporting Characters: 3/5


Setting: 4/5


Romance: 3/5


Uniqueness: 3/5

Cover: 4/5

Writing: 5/5






Bottom Line: I loved the author's writing style and I can't wait to read a more romantic book from her long list of titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment