Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday I'm in Love


Just finished a last revision of EVANGELINE, and I'm in love! Our romance has had its ups and downs, but I've always known our love was true. Ah, c'est l'amour!

Maybe I'm just a big old softie, but I love a good love story. Hell, I love a good romance, and I'm not going to nitpick about the differences. (Nicholas Sparks, you're a romance writer. Deal with it.) I can't seem to write anything that doesn't have an element of romance and at least a tiny love triangle. Because I love to write fantasy and paranormal romance, the romances often have their own unique problems:

I've never had a guy break up with me because he found out I was really a dragon.

I've never had to worry about whether or not the Egyptian god of the dead would make a good boyfriend.

I've never thought the guy I liked was alive when he was actually a ghost.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. With the glut of paranormal romance out there for adults and YA, writers have to be more original than ever when plotting love triangles and romantic sub plots. Instead of churning out the same sort of girl meets boy, boy drinks blood/howls at moon/etc., girl gets boy despite common sense and they all live HEA, writers are going to have to think outside the realm of convention if they want to write novels in such a competitive market.

Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Gena Showalter, and newcomer Gail Carriger have all done this, yet... it's always good not to go TOO far outside the reader's comfort zone. A fine line must be walked between what turns-on and what turns-off.

Read any good paranormal romances lately? Read any BAD romances lately? What was it about the love-story that interested you? Anything fun and unexpected? What turned you off? I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment