Thursday, November 25, 2010

10 Reasons Why I am Thankful for Romance Comic Books!

Now that the turkey has been eaten and the pie gobbled down, it is time to say thanks for romance comics! There are so many reasons why I love these gems from the 1960s and 1970s, but here are just ten reasons (in no particular order) I am thankful for the oft-dismissed genre!

♥ The Thrill of the Hunt
Whether found at conventions, comic book stores or on Ebay,
looking high and low for romance comics
is one of my favorite things to do!

House ads ♥
Advertising titles, stories and collections of books,
the house ads of the romance comics
are both informative and fun!

Stories from the People Who Were There ♥
I am so thankful that I have been able to conduct
interviews with the likes of Suzan Loeb, Irene Vartanoff and
José Luis García-López! I can only hope that many more are in store!

♥ Cardy Covers
Not much needs to be said on this point --
who isn't thankful for beautifully rendered Cardy covers?

Crazy Product Advertisements ♥
Fishing rods! Sea-Monkey necklaces! Diet aides! Wigs!
The list goes on and on of advertisements from the
romance comics to be thankful for!

Marc and Paul ♥
One is completely lovable and one is practically the Antichrist...
Twin advice columnists Marc and Paul couldn't be more
different, but that is why I love them so!

Serial Stories and Recurring Characters ♥
Becoming attached to a character in romance stories is
usually problematic due to their fleeting nature. Thankfully,
serials like "Reach for Happiness" and recurring characters like
Page Peterson, satisfy the need for continuity and familiarity.

Inspiring Fashion Spreads ♥
Romance comics from the '60s and '70s are so
captivating, in part, because of the incredible fashions worn by
glamorous characters! I know I sure am thankful for
Mad Mad Modes for Moderns and Dates 'n Mates!

♥ Easter Eggs
Finding an Easter Egg in a romance comic
(like this ode to Green Lantern) is always a treat!

♥ Readers of Sequential Crush
I have saved my number one reason for being thankful for romance comics for last. I will try not to be too gushy or cliche here, but honestly... I am truly thankful for all the amazing people I have met through a mutual love of romance comics. Readers, fellow bloggers, dealers and everyone else -- I am so thankful for you all! You have taught me things, inspired me and made my research of romance comics a continually enjoyable and worthwhile endeavor!!!

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment