Monday, November 8, 2010

Review Sunrise at Sunset by Jaz Primo

Sunrise at Sunset (The Sunset Series #1)
Author Jaz Primo
Requested review
paperback- 421 pgs
Urban Fantasy- vampires
Authors website

My name is Katrina Rawlings, and I am a vampire. I declare that with neither pride nor ego. I am simply nature’s most dangerous predator. On occasion, it’s a very valuable quality. It helped me protect Caleb Taylor one day when he was very young. But that single, traumatic day is behind him now; wiped from his memory, or so I hope.

Caleb has finally matured into a rather striking young man, and believe me, I like what I see. I’ll readily admit that there are issues for us to confront and overcome, though a sense of mutual commitment isn’t one of them. I’m feeling hopeful for our future together, in fact. But an adversary from my past has returned to haunt me, and she’s trying to get back at me through Caleb. That was her first...and last...mistake. I’ll protect my Caleb at all costs, and I’ll make her regret the day she was born.

So, I suppose that I’m not just a vampire. I’m about to become someone’s worst nightmare!

My Review
Rating-
Sexual-
Mention of Kissing

Here is a different twist, the female is the vampire in the dominant lead and the male is the human as submissive partner. I found it lacking in action, the romance is there, but its more like Katrina is a mother hen that wants to protect Caleb from everything. Caleb is very submissive and as most of you know I don’t like a heroine to roll over and do what she is told to do, I like a little tension added. I liked some aspects of the story, but I found Katrina a very bland vampire with not a lot of special abilities. I did like how Katrina is up front with Caleb about her being a vampire and she gives him a set of rules to follow. There is romance with just the mention of kissing, so I can see this very easy being a great book for a YA. This is a urban fantasy series. I felt Jaz does a good job in writing both Katrina and Caleb and her friends. I can see this series growing more over the next few books. I suggest this to anyone who likes an alpha female and to YA readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment