Friday, February 18, 2011

My Very Special Valentine's Day Gift!

Happy weekend, romance fans! I hope you all had a lovely week and a most wonderful Valentine's Day! I was out of town for the holiday, but upon my return I had something very special waiting for me at the Post Office from my dear boyfriend, Justin!!!

Despite the fact that Valentine's Day isn't celebrated in Denmark as far as he could tell, Justin went all out this year and found and purchased for me the splash page of Win Mortimer's "How Do I Know When I'm Really in Love?" (below). This piece of original art is very cool for a number of reasons... 1.) It is illustrated by Win Mortimer -- no need to elaborate! 2.) It is a splash page! 3.) Not only is it the splash page of the story, it is also the first page of the expensive and scarce romance comic, DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #5 (1971)!

Original Page with art by Win Mortimer
DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #5 (1971)

Page from the 2000
"Replica Edition"


I just had to share -- I am totally smitten with it! No chocolate or flowers for this girl!!! Hooray!

Justin also seized the opportunity to purchase the original art for the stunning three-page Art Saaf illustrated story, "You're Not My Type... Mr. Winslow!" from Heart Throbs #129 (December 1970/January 1971). He had these pages shipped to him in Denmark, so I definitely can't wait to see these in person once I am there!


All of this was such a huge surprise, so thanks for allowing me to take time to share with you! When I think about the fact that these amazing artists poured all of their energy and talent into these gorgeous pieces it just makes me feel so connected to history and all giddy inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment