Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WiP Wednesday: Rocking the Multiple First Person Perspective

Great balls of fire, it's been forever since I talked about the WiP!

To be honest, I haven't worked on it in a while, not since I started getting feedback on revisions for Evangeline. Been thinking a lot about it, though. For those of you who don't know (that would be everyone outside my crit group, lol!) I've got a title! A title I love.

I've decided to go with Aether, which is the substance my sorcerers harness to work their "magic". I've also decided the sub-genre is now aether-punk, a term I thought I made up, but the interwebs, they proved me wrong.

More importantly than the title, I've decided to change my format from a single first person pov, to THREE first person povs. (Don't worry, it's past tense. I'm saving present tense for my novel with four first person povs. ;D  How ya like me now?)

The funniest part is, I started out thinking I was only going to add one additional pov, but one of the characters was all like "Not without me, you're not!" I'm glad he did, because I feel like I have a better handle on his voice and personality than the others. I guess that means I'm really just a seventeen year old boy at heart. ;)

So here's the crux of my post. Quite a few books have been published lately with alternating first person povs: Across the Universe by Beth Revis, Lisa Desrochers' Personal Demons, Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver books. Personally, I love a well-written alternating first person pov, probably because I love first person so much that I enjoy the ability to get deeper into someone else's head with the intimacy that first person offers, and I particularly loved Lisa's style in writing both Frannie and Luc. They seemed so distinct, I was never confused about whose "head" I was in.

Sure, some authors do it better than others, but I'm curious to hear what you all think about multiple first person books. They've been around in literature for some time now, of course, but is this a trend for YA you think will pass? Or is it here for the long haul, as a proper pov alternative to third person?

I'd love to hear what y'all think!

No comments:

Post a Comment