Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Interview with paranormal romance author Dianne Duvall

Please welcome author Dianne Duvall!



Laurie-Hello Dianne, thanks so much for doing this interview.
Dianne-Thanks for having me. It’s great to be here!

Laurie-Would you please tell us a little about yourself?
Dianne-I am a long-time romance novel enthusiast with a vivid imagination that has driven me to create a new paranormal romance series: Immortal Guardians, which begins with the release of Darkness Dawns today. I love to write and have been doing so since I was around thirteen years old. When I’m not writing Immortal Guardians novels or reading the latest book by one of many favorite romance authors, I work in the independent film community. So, I pretty much enjoy doing anything that allows me to be creative.

Laurie-Do you have any writing quirks you use?
Dianne-Quite a few actually, but the most prominent one is using different media to write my novels. I wrote my first manuscripts (a medieval romance with paranormal elements and a time travel romance, both of which are prequels to Darkness Dawns) on my computer. When writers block started to creep in, I grabbed a spiral notebook and a pen and ended up writing all of Darkness Dawns by hand. Then the second book in the Immortal Guardians series I wrote on the AlphaSmart NEO I won when Darkness Dawns was chosen as Best of the Best in the RWA Indiana Golden Opportunity contest. This has become my favorite medium on which to write now because there is no internet (email, facebook, blogging) to distract me.

Laurie-Who has inspired you to write?
Every author who has ever written a book I enjoyed. Reading fueled my imagination and made creating my own stories easy and enjoyable. My husband provided even greater inspiration. He was the first person to believe I could write a novel and get it published and has supported me every step of the way.

Laurie-What are some of your favorite paranormal romance authors?
Dianne-I have a long list of favorites that includes Alexandra Ivy, Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, Lara Adrian, Alexis Morgan, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, J. R. Ward and more.

Laurie-Would you please tell us about your Immortal Guardians series?
Dianne-The Immortal Guardians series takes a fresh approach to the vampire romance genre. Vampires in this series aren’t heroes. They also aren’t undead. Rather they are infected with a rare virus that conquers, then replaces their immune system and lends them incredible strength, speed and healing capabilities, coupled with an unfortunate photosensitivity and a need for frequent infusions of blood. A greater downside to the virus is that, in only a short time, it damages the brains of humans infected with it, causing them to descend into madness. So even good guys who are infected with it will inevitably become villains who prey upon humans.

Immortals are infected with the same virus. But they were something more than human before their transformation. Though they don’t know the source of it, each was born with incredibly advanced DNA that bestows upon them special paranormal abilities and mutates the virus so they aren’t afflicted by the madness it causes in vampires. Exceedingly powerful warriors, the Immortal Guardians keep the vampires in check and will take readers with them on their journey as they endeavor to discover the truth behind their existence, encounter new preternatural beings and face increasingly complex challenges spawned by an escalating number of formidable foes.

Laurie-How many books do you have planned for this series? Can you tell us who is next?
Dianne-There will be at least four books in the Immortal Guardians series. The second book, which is scheduled for release in December 2011, will revolve around Marcus. For those who haven’t read Darkness Dawns: Marcus is the only immortal who braved Roland’s irascible nature to become his friend. He is also mourning the loss of a woman he loved for eight centuries and is now skating the edge.

Laurie-What was the best thing you liked about writing your hero Roland?
Dianne-Watching the reawakening that took place within him. Thrice betrayed and nearly destroyed by those he loved and trusted more than anyone else, he has lived in isolation for centuries, unwilling to trust. Then Sarah charges into his life and to his rescue and suddenly he’s laughing again. Teasing and being teased. Trusting despite the harsh lessons history has taught him. Desiring, loving, and generally embracing life again after a prolonged absence.

Laurie-Can you tell us what inspired you to write your heroine Sarah as an organic health nut?
Dianne-I wanted to do something different that would lend her a unique individuality. Since eating organic is a growing trend, I thought it would go well with her profession as a music theory professor.

Laurie-Can you tell us a little about the leader Seth?
Dianne-Seth is the eldest and most powerful Immortal Guardian, possessing all of the paranormal abilities the others boast combined. As their self-proclaimed leader, he considers it his responsibility to seek out all newly transformed immortals, ease their transition into their new life, train them, guide them, give them a new purpose and, if necessary, punish them should they stray from the boundaries he sets for them. He also considers them and treats them all like family, putting their safety and happiness above his own.

Laurie-Is there anything you’d like to add about your new series?
Dianne-I hope readers will enjoy the approach it takes to the vampire romance genre, be entertained by the wild ride ahead and will love the characters as much as I do.

To celebrate the release of Darkness Dawns, I’m holding a Win a Kindle contest.  Readers can learn more on my website (www.DianneDuvall.com ) and my blog The Immortal Realm ( dianneduvall.blogspot.com ).

Laurie-Can you tell us what you’re working on now?
Dianne-I just turned in the second book in the series and am now beginning the third.  I’ll leave readers guessing whom that one will feature.

Thanks Dianne!!
My review of Darkness Dawns

No comments:

Post a Comment